InRehab Interview: Kris Mars

Thursday, August 6, 2009 Leave a Comment




A while back, I made a feature on Kris Mars. Along with talent, he's a super down to earth dude from what I've seen and I'm really liking what he's done so far. If you haven't done it yet, you definitely need to check this dude out. I could see him working perfectly with the Neptunes, and you know my high ass standards lol. He's a great breath of fresh air in hip-hop and music in general. So I caught up with him and he agreed to do an interview for us:

InRehab: How'd you get into rapping? Did you always know it was what you wanted to do it?
Kris Mars: well rapping came about because my older brother was a rapper and when i was like 8 i really was amazed by how cool and unique the culture was. so i started righting little poems and listening to alot of hip hop music. so by the time i had reached the 5th grade i started to write verses to instrumentals... naww actually b-ball was my main thing..but what people don't realize is that once i started really writing and rapping in the 5th grade i never stopped. i was still doing music but not as my main thing..but all my close friends told me if i really tried to do music full time then i could get big from it because of how good i was for my age...

InRehab: Where do you get your inspiration from?
Kris Mars: my inspiration is mostly natural. and what i mean by that is everything and anything that surrounds music in general no matter genre . im like automatically drawn to it..music to me is like a drug i just cant stop thinking about it or creating it.. i also am driven by the reaction that people give me when they listen to my music. and that is probably one of the main reason's i put so much thought and effort into my music, because being presentable is a key thing in my life so when i make music i always make sure its at least as perfect as i could make it..so im kind of a perfectionist.

InRehab: If you could collaborate with anyone, who would it be and why?
Kris Mars: it would probably be sade because i grew up on her music. my mom would always be playing her music in the car..and the older i got the more i studied and listened to her..she represent everything i love about good music.. soothing,feel good, great story line, and her music creates a picture and scene for the listener...

InRehab: Where do you see yourself in the next 5-10 years?
Kris Mars: i see myself running the game and making music all over the world...

InRehab: What is the hip hop scene like where you're from and how does it effect your music?
Kris Mars: well hip hop is kinda dead out where im from due to the fact that everybody is making the same sounding music and copying each other...and everyone is afraid to jump out the box and make unique music... thats why some people might understand me because im not following anybody's footsteps and thats because im a real creator .. i could do regular rap and call it day but thats not changing anything in music..my job is to make people hear other sounds and different atmospheres when they listen to my music... musically what i believe is "why make a song if wont make a difference or bring something new to the worlds ears"

InRehab: If you could sign with any label right now, which label would you choose and why?
Kris Mars: well it would be G.O.O.D MUSIC or STAR TRAK.. those labels fit my style best and they understand real music....and i dont want to give away any secrets but there might be something getting ready to happen with KRIS MARS & G.O.O.D MUSIC..lol

InRehab: Who are some music artists that you're into right now?
Kris Mars: kid cudi, kanye west, n.e.r.d, dom kennedy "the illest west coast rapper to me", mr hudson, sade , prince, elton john, sa-ra ,bob marley and marvin gaye.

InRehab: What's the message you try to send with your music?
Kris Mars: creativity , peace, love , fun and opening young minds to different and new things in the world.

InRehab: What sets you and your music apart from other rappers coming up currently?
Kris Mars: well im not a rapper ima a music artist. and there's only 1 me. point blank.

You can view his myspace: here.
Big thanks to Kris for taking the time to do this interview

-Jigga & JaMillie

0 comments »